The Chappell brothers. The Waugh brothers. The O’Brien brothers. The McCullum brothers. The Akmal brothers. Now we have a new set of brothers which are changing the dynamics of Mumbai Indians in IPL 2018. They are the Pandya brothers– Hardik and Krunal.
One of the things that can change Mumbai Indians fortune this season is the return of Pandya brothers in IPL 2018. Mumbai Indians have retained Hardik for over Rs 11 crore whereas Krunal has been brought back with Right to Match for Rs 8 crore. Mumbai Indians rely on them immensely as they play a crucial role with both bat and ball.
In the new-age fast track format of the game, being an all rounder offers you a distinct advantage. In IPL, if you have the ability to clear the ropes and can bowl at a good economy, then you are most likely to be a main stay in the team. Both Pandyas are all-rounders. The senior Pandya, Krunal is a left arm orthodox bowler and a left-handed batsman whereas Hardik Pandya is a right-handed batsman and a right handed fast bowler.
Krunal Pandya is the fourth highest scorer of Mumbai Indians with an average of 25.85 and has taken 9 wickets and is 12th among the highest wicket taking bowlers of this season, whereas Hardik is a leading wicket taker for Mumbai Indians this season, 14 wickets in 9 matches at an average of 16.78. Hardik’s bowling has been great but he is also one of MI’s power-hitters. Hardik impresses all with his natural talent, but it is Krunal’s composure under pressure that is worth mentioning.
Let us have a look at the statistics this year and find out what makes Pandya brothers the true gems of Mumbai Indians.
- Krunal: 10 matches, 181 runs, average 25.85, SR 148.36
- Hardik: 9 matches, 169 runs, average 33.80, SR 128.03
- Hardik: 9 matches, 14 wickets, average 16.78, ER 8.49
- Krunal: 10 matches, 9 wickets, average 22.33, ER 7.44
- Last year, Krunal helped in a crucial win against the Delhi Daredevils and due to which he ended up with the highest batting strike rate that season. Hardik, on the other hand, is a dynamic player who shot to fame in IPL 2015, with a devastating 61* off 31 balls against Kolkata Knight Riders.
- Pandya brothers completed a convincing win over the Kolkata Night Riders during the MI Vs KKR match on Sunday, 6th May 2018. Hardik Pandya produced a man-of-the-match performance and led MI to win over Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) in their IPL match on Sunday. At the end of the 12th over, KKR were cruising – 111/2 and needed just 71 runs from 48 balls with some big-hitters like Dinesh Karthik, Andre Russell, Sunil Narine still to come. But Mumbai Indians pulled it off. Hardik stepped up to bowl two wonderfully economical over’s-14th over, in which he gave away only 5 runs but took 1 wicket and the 18th over in which he gave away 6 runs. When given the opportunity to bowl the last over of the match, Krunal didn’t disappoint the team. He gave away only 9 runs in that over and also in between took a wonderful running catch. It was a difficult catch as he was fielding at short fine leg but ran backwards towards square leg to take a skier.
- Pandya brothers have proved to be a blessing for the Mumbai Indians on various occasions. Apart from batting, the Pandya brothers provide a left arm spinning and a right arm pace bowling option. Let us wait and watch their performance for the remainder of the tournament.